The aim of this course is to enable you to learn basic painting and textile skills and develop appropriate designs for translating into colourful projects to to work on at home. These could include pictures,hats , scarves, cards, small gift items etc. Guidance will be given at every stage from setting up materials and equipment to finishing techniques and presentation. This is an opportunity to escape from the world of technology and explore making by hand, through informal workshops in batik, tie- dyeing, machine and hand embroidery, silk painting and felt making.
- Batik: learn the Indonesian art of batik is a technique of wax-resist dyeing applied to whole cloth, or cloth made using this technique.
- Tie-dye- process of hand-dyeing fabric, in which sections of the fabric are tightly bound, as with thread, to resist the dye solution, thereby producing a variegated pattern. Including indigo and Japanese shibori techniques
- Embroidery-the art of working raised and ornamental designs in threads of silk, cotton, gold, silver, or other material, upon any woven fabric, leather, paper. Machine embroidery techniques included.
- Silk painting, the Asian art - the application of paints or dyes directly onto silk fabric using an exciting array of watercolor techniques. The colours are brilliant, vibrant and translucent and merge on the fabric which remains soft and to touch.
- Felt -is a non-woven textile that is made by shrinking or matting fibers together to make an impenetrable fabric that can be cut without fraying or degrading the edges. Felt can be made from all wool fibers and other animal fibers such as alpaca, cashmere, angora and even buffalo.
This course is suitable for all skill levels. Join in this programme that is already underway - ask for details of fees.
To find out more about this course, the dates it runs on and the course fees please use the button below.