About the course
This is a one-year intensive course for mature students (aged 19+). It is designed to prepare you for study on a health-related bachelor’s degree program like Adult Nursing or Midwifery. The Diploma may also be a beneficial qualification for students looking to go directly into employment (in the healthcare sector), where Level 3 qualifications are required.
You need to have a genuine desire and aptitude to enter the nursing profession. Universities will expect you to have gained experience working in a healthcare setting and will also require a DBS check. We strongly advise you to have experience in place by the time you begin your course.
What you will study
- Nursing studies
- Health sciences
- Social sciences
- Human biology
- English and maths
- Assessment is on-going and developed through a portfolio of course work. A large proportion of your work will be essay or assignment based but you can also expect exams, presentations and project work
- Proficiency in written and spoken English
- GCSEs - grades A* - C / 9 - 4 in English and maths preferred, however, each application will be considered on an individual basis.
- Already work, or have worked, in the healthcare sector in related-role (paid or voluntary)
- Selection is by interview, initial screening, literacy and numeracy tests
Costs and loans
- The Advanced Learner Loan is available for this course
- Health and Social Care Foundation Degree
- Degree course at university (Midwifery, Nursing or health related programme)
- Access is an intensive study programme; you must be completely committed to hard work and are required to maintain 100% attendance
- You are expected to self-study for a minimum of 10 extra hours a week in order to manage strict work deadlines and to cope with the work load