About the course
This one year, level 1 introductory course gives you the opportunity to develop the knowledge, skills and understanding needed to progress to further study and ultimately to employment in art and design or a related sector. It provides an introduction to the sector, enabling you to make informed future progression choices while developing and applying your knowledge and acquiring a range of relevant practical, communication and personal development skills.
What you will study
You will study a range units providing you with the opportunity to explore a broad range of Art and Design topics, including drawing, painting, printmaking, 2D and 3D work, photography and fine art. There is an opportunity through the choice of units for you to develop your research, enterprise and self-management skills alongside your vocational learning.
The units you will study could include;
- Art and Design: Explore 2 Dimensions
- Art and Design: Discovering 3 Dimensions
- Art and Design: A Project in 2 or 3 Dimensions
- Art and Design: Explore Drawing
- Art and Design: Explore Printmaking
- Art and Design: Explore Mixed Media
- Art and Design: Explore 3D Design Crafts
- Art and Design: A Personal Project
- Art and Design: An Accessory Project
- Self-management Skills
- Planning an Enterprise Activity
- Running an Enterprise Activity
- All units are graded as Pass. You must pass each unit to achieve the Diploma qualification at the end of the course. Students are also required to undertake examinations in Essential (Functional) Skills English and Maths. This course is hard work and challenging, deadlines must always be met, units must be passed, it is also creative, fun and very rewarding.
- 4 GCSEs - grades A*-G / 9 - 1 including English Selection is by interview and internal tests
Training in art, design or media such as Level 2 Certificate/Extended Certificate/Diploma in Art & Design, Photography or Media.