About the course
This fascinating course is ideal if you have a passion for theatre and would like to work in technical theatre and backstage work including lighting, sound, stage management, events planning, crewing and set design and construction maintenance, costume and prop design.
The course will teach you a wide range of skills required to run theatre productions. From learning how to light a stage, to managing the sound, to designing and building the set and designing and creating costumes, this course will give you the foundation needed to pursue a career in the performing arts industry via higher education.
It provides you with excellent learning opportunities that not only equip you with the skills to pursue a professional career within the industry, but also give you the foundation for higher education and training. You will take a ‘hands-on’ approach and learn through a realistic working environment, taking part in practical exercises, simulated work environments and fulfilling technical roles on theatre productions.
Our tutors come from a professional background in the industry and maintain strong links and partnerships within the industry that allows relevant work experience for two weeks with a professional theatre company or industry specialist.
What you will study
- Production arts planning
- Production for theatre and studio production
- Stage management
- Costume Design
- Set Design
- Prop making
- Performing arts and events management
- Assessment is coursework and exam based
- All units are graded as Pass, Merit or Distinction
- Students must pass each unit to get the overall Diploma qualification at the end of the course
- Students are also required to take an examination in Essential (Functional) Skills English and maths
- 4 GCSEs - grades A*-C including English and maths
- Selection is by interview and appraisal of your portfolio
- You will have the opportunity to progress directly to a Level 4 Production course at the National College, Thurrock
- You may then choose a particular pathway and progress to a higher education course at: Rose Bruford College, Central School of Speech and Drama, RADA, Mountview Academy of Theatre Arts, or Academy of Live and Recorded Arts
- Creative Arts Apprenticeship