About the course
This is an introductory teaching qualification that replaces what used to be known as Preparing to Teach in the Lifelong Learning Sector (PTLLS). It is suitable for trainers in the private sector or those looking at Further Education colleges and the post 16 sector.The course is designed for those who are not currently in a teaching, training or support role but would like to enter the profession as well as those who might already be delivering some training and would like to obtain a nationally recognised qualification. The course attracts applicants from a variety sectors including the hair and beauty industry, NHS, built environment, local government trainers and others. This makes for a varied classroom that is really interesting as you hear how fellow students apply the same core techniques to their various sectors and makes for interesting diverse micro teaches.
What you will study
- Understanding roles, responsibilities and relationships in education and training
- Understanding and using inclusive teaching and learning approaches in education and training
- Understanding assessment in education and training
You will produce a portfolio of evidence which is made up of various course engagement tasks. You will take part in class discussions and practical work and have individual written tasks to complete. You will be expected to spend time each week writing up and completing your course work. You do not need to have your own teaching hours with this programme as you will deliver a 15 minute micro-teach to the rest of the group. Full details of this will be discussed with the course tutor during the course.
- GCSEs - grades A* - C / 9 - 4 in English and maths or a recognised level 2 equivalent
- You must have a subject specialism that you want to teach and hold a relevant subject specific qualification at Level 3 or higher
- Selection is by interview and internal tests
- Employment or progression in the education and training sectors
- Diploma in Education and Training – full teaching qualfication
- If you wish to progress to the full Diploma in Education and Training then you will need teaching hours (paid or voluntary) in the sector and the Level 3 Award, can help you in obtaining this as it will show settings/employers that you have the foundation knowledge for teaching.