About the course
This course is for you if you want to improve your maths skills, either for work or further study. We offer courses at all levels in a friendly, supportive environment so that you can develop the skills you need. All evening courses are once a week. Most daytime courses are also once a week but in some cases the course runs over two afternoons to fit in with school finishing times.
What you will study
Number – calculating with whole numbers, fractions and decimals, using percentages, estimating and checking your answers with and without a calculator.
Measurement of shapes, spaces and time – using standard measures to calculate flat and 3D shapes, areas, speed etc.
Handling data – understanding and using charts, tables, graphs, timetables etc.
Functional skills maths is assessed by a single examination. Students are entered when they are ready for assessment and there are numerous opportunities throughout the year.
- You will sit a short initial assessment of your maths skills so that we can place you at the appropriate level.
- Please bring any previous maths certificates with you so that we can take your prior learning into account.
Cost and loans
- Maths courses are free to adults who have not yet achieved a GCSE Maths at grade C or above.
- You can progress to the next level of functional skills maths or to GCSE maths.
- Additional learning support is available – please tell us about any specific learning difficulties you have.