About the course
This course is the essential training ground for the chefs of tomorrow. You will study in our industry-standard training kitchens, which serve our student-led BR6 Restaurant in the centre of Orpinton. You will cook for and serve real customers, giving you the essential work experience that employers look for.
Using the highest quality ingredients you will prepare complex meat, fish (including shell fish), poultry and vegetable dishes, as well as desserts, cakes and biscuits. The course also covers the preparation of soups, hot and cold sauces and pasta dishes.
What you will study
- Food safety and preparation
- Serving food and drink
- Healthy eating
- Using kitchen equipment
- Cooking basic food items and dishes
- Job opportunities in the hospitality industry
- You will produce a portfolio of evidence to show your progress.
- There are also tests throughout the course to assess your theoretical knowledge
- You will be assessed through real work experience in our BR6 Restaurant and training kitchens
- 4 GCSEs - grades A*-C / 9 - 4 including English and maths
- Professional Cookery NVQ Level 2 Diploma C&G - Merit or Distinction grades
- Selection is by interview and internal tests
- Employment as a chef in a professional restaurant or in other catering-related businesses and organisations