About the course
This course is part of the full lawyer qualification for a Legal Executive. The work of a legal executive is very similar to that of a solicitor, and the profession is regulated by the Chartered Institute of Legal Executives (CILEx). You can obtain a partial qualification by completing just the Level 3 courses, but must complete all levels in order to qualify as a lawyer. The first year of the qualification is the Certificate in Law and Practice. The second year is the Professional Diploma in Law and Practice. The third and fourth years are the Level 6 Higher Diplomas in Law and Practice. You will need to complete each stage in order to progress and register for each year separately. If you already have a qualifying law degree, you can go straight to Level 6 Higher Diplomas in Law and Practice and complete the Graduate Fast Track.
The Chartered Institute of Legal Executives (CILEx) is calling all practitioners without a professional status to stand up, be counted, be valued and claim their Associate Grade (ACILEx) status. Please click here to find out more.
What you will study
- The course is compliant with the CILEx qualification requirements and includes both substantive law subjects such as contract law and land law; practice subjects such as civil litigation and skills subjects
- The course is designed to not only provide an education in core law subjects, but to train you how to apply the law and develop the skills needed to make you a professional and respected lawyer
- Assessments are twice a year and consistent, mainly of unseen exams
- The skills units are assessed by written coursework
- CILEx are responsible for the regulation and marking of the assessments
- 5 GCSEs - A*-C / 9 - 3 grades
- OR similar qualification or workplace experience will be considered
- A high standard of written English is essential
- Students must be aged 19 or over
Costs and loans
- The courses are self-funded and no student loans or financial support is available.
- In addition to our fees, you must be a member of CILEx and pay registration fees to CILEx for each exam or coursework submission
- You can either complete the Level 3 qualification only and become a paralegal or complete the full Legal Executive qualification and become a graduate member of the Chartered Institute of Legal Executives
- For the full lawyer qualification you will need to also undertake qualifying employment and details of this can be found on the CILEx website: www.CILEx.org
- The Level 3 courses all start in September, but the Level 6 courses may have different start dates.