About this course
This course will provide you with the knowledge, understanding and skills needed to prepare you for entry to higher education or employment. The qualifications also provide career development opportunities if you are already in work.
What you will study
- A mixture of chemistry, biology, physics and developing science skills
How you will be assessed
- This course is assessed by a variety of methods such as projects, practical work, internally assessed assignments, research, coursework and exams. During the course, you will build up a portfolio of evidence of your achievements in the various coursework activities
- The course will be delivered using a mixture of theory and practical work. It will be assessed through formal assignments, tasks and exams. Practical work will usually be assessed by tutor observation and by written assessment
- You must be at least 16 years old to participate in this course
- 5 GCSEs grades A*-C / 9 - 4 including English, maths and science
- OR Applied Science BTEC Level 2 Diploma - Merit or above
- You are required to provide your own laboratory coat, scientific calculator and stationery. Lab coats and other essential items are available to purchase from the college. We do not provide textbooks or recommend particular reading lists
- On successful completion of the BTEC 90 course (1st year), students progress to the BTEC Extended Diploma course (2nd year).
- The majority of our learners go on to study Sciences at degree level.
- The College has links with the University of Greenwich, and successful students have the option to continue at the College full time on a Foundation Degree in an Biomedical Science or Pharmaceutical Science.
- Alternatively, the course will prepare you for work within a wide range of science-based careers.